Subject: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-03.txt> (Reaction of Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) to Flash- Renumbering Events) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 14:11:28 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document: - 'Reaction of Stateless Address
Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) to Flash-
   Renumbering Events'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-09-09. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In scenarios where network configuration information related to IPv6
   prefixes becomes invalid without any explicit signaling of that
   condition (such as when a CPE crashes and reboots without knowledge
   of the previously-employed prefixes), nodes on the local network will
   continue using stale prefixes for an unacceptably long time, thus
   resulting in connectivity problems.  This document documents this
   issue and discusses operational workarounds that may help to improve
   network robustness.  Additionally, it highlights areas where further
   work may be needed.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum/

NOTE: draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum and draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum are closely related and should be reviewed together. 

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.