Subject: [VCARDDAV] Do we need type for EMAIL or IMPP?

From: Mark Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:04:38 -0400

We recently discussed the use of TYPE for telephone numbers. As part of 
that discussion we've proposed dropping pref and making use of labels to 
indicate something is a home number or a work number. If we apply this 
same idea to EMAIL and IM we are left with the only values for email; 
being "internet", "x.400" or "uri" and the only values for IMPP being 
"mobile". It's not clear we really need these at all. Perhaps we should 
drop the special notes in theses section (see below) and rework the 
examples not to use type.

Mark

--

7.4.2.  EMAIL

   Purpose:  To specify the electronic mail address for communication
      with the object the vCard represents.

   Value type:  A single text value.

   Special notes:  The type can include the type parameter "TYPE" to
      specify the format or preference of the electronic mail address.
      The TYPE parameter values can include: "internet" to indicate an
      Internet addressing type, "x400" to indicate a X.400 addressing
      type, "uri" to indicate a URI useable for electronic
      communication, "home" to indicate an address associated with a
      residence, "work" to indicate an address associated with a place
      of work, or "pref" to indicate a preferred-use email address when
      more than one is specified.  Another IANA registered address type
      can also be specified.  The default email type is "internet".  A
      non-standard value can also be specified.

   Type example:

           EMAIL;TYPE=internet:[email-masked]

           EMAIL;TYPE=internet,pref:[email-masked]

           EMAIL;TYPE=uri,work:http://example.com/contact.php

7.4.3.  IMPP

   Purpose:  To specify the URI for instant messaging and presence
      protocol communications with the object the vCard represents.

   Value type:  A single URI.  The type of the URI indicates the
      protocol that can be used for this contact.

   Special notes:  The property may include the type parameter "TYPE" to
      specify an intended use for the URI.  The TYPE parameter values
      include one or more of the following:

      *  An indication of the type of communication for which this URI
         is appropriate.  This can be a value of "personal" or
         "business".

      *  An indication of the location of a device associated with this
         URI.  Values can be "home", "work", or "mobile".

      *  The value "pref" indicates this is a preferred address and has
         the same semantics as the "pref" value in a TEL property.

   Example:

       IMPP;TYPE=personal,pref:xmpp:[email-masked]

--

-- 

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Mark Paterson | Product Manager, UC & Mobile Services | 514.905.8649
Oracle Server Technologies - Collaboration
600 Blvd. de Maissoneuve West, Suite 1900, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 3J2
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Mark Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:09:59 -0400

The same can probably be said for ADR as well.

Mark

Mark Paterson wrote:
>
> We recently discussed the use of TYPE for telephone numbers. As part 
> of that discussion we've proposed dropping pref and making use of 
> labels to indicate something is a home number or a work number. If we 
> apply this same idea to EMAIL and IM we are left with the only values 
> for email; being "internet", "x.400" or "uri" and the only values for 
> IMPP being "mobile". It's not clear we really need these at all. 
> Perhaps we should drop the special notes in theses section (see below) 
> and rework the examples not to use type.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> 7.4.2.  EMAIL
>

--

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:11:04 -0400

> examples not to use type.

+1

-- 
Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:54:12 -0600

>       protocol communications with the object the vCard represents.

For IM, don't we already have RFC 4770?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4770

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:04:17 -0400

> For IM, don't we already have RFC 4770?

Yes, it has been included into the draft which obsoletes it.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:06:05 -0600

> Yes, it has been included into the draft which obsoletes it.

OK, my bad, I should have checked before asking. RTFM and all that.

Peter