Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Making TEL value stricter (Dany CAUCHIE)

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:40:33 -0400

Hi all,

Here's why I think we must not impose additional constraints on the URI used 
for the TEL property.

By definition, a URI identifies a resource. If a given URI scheme is deemed 
not specific enough (i.e. multiple resources could correspond to the same 
URI), then it's a problem with the scheme definition which should be 
addressed separately and elsewhere.

Comments?

Simon

-- 
Please try Numb, a STUN/TURN server implementation.
Free access at http://numb.viagenie.ca/.
_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:42:22 -0700

> addressed separately and elsewhere.

It's too late -- many extremely common URI schemes are already nowhere  
near specific enough.  If VCard relies on URI scheme definitions  
elsewhere to constrain what resources might be returned, then VCard's  
interoperability will suffer.

Lisa

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:54:22 -0400

> interoperability will suffer.

And what about the specific case of the tel: URI?

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:12:11 -0700

> And what about the specific case of the tel: URI?

Definitely more likely to be usable/useful than the results of getting  
a random HTTP URI!  :)  Also better than "SIP" URIs which I think was  
part of the reason for defining it.

Lisa