Subject: [VCARDDAV] Feedback on vCard4 draft 15

From: Tantek Çelik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:56:41 -0800

I've re-rereviewed the entirety of vCard4 draft 15, with both an eye
towards previous feedback, and updates/changes in general.

As noted before, I'm very impressed with the overall improvements in
this draft. It feels like substantial portions of this draft are ready
for last call or ready for implementation. My compliments to the
editors.

That being said, there are some areas that I think could use
improvement and/or splitting off into either extensions or additional
modular specifications. Here is the brief summary:

Improvements:

* GENDER property needs update to 2 component version (as covered in
previous email thread)

Requires modularity/splitting out:

* Groups - as noted in the recent email threads, the current design is
problematic and certainly lacks any kind of consensus. It is not even
close to the same level of maturity as the rest of the spec. Groups
should be at best spun out into an extension spec which can be
discussed separately and not slow down the progress of vCard4 core.

* Synchronization - this is architecturally orthogonal and can/should
be split into a separate spec. Many (most?) contact information
processing tools will not bother with implementing sync - it should
work fine as an extension, and is also not at the same level of
maturity as the rest of the draft.

* Calendar Properties - again, architecturally orthogonal, and
many/most address book / sites with profiles do not implement
calendaring - it doesn't make sense to have this in the core.
Calendaring should continue to evolve orthogonally and independently
of Contact info.

I've written up this and additional detailed feedback on a wiki page,
as well as have incorporated co-workers' and colleagues' comments
(which I support as well).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/VCard4

Thanks for your consideration,

Tantek