Subject: [VCARDDAV] xCard cardinality

From: Renato Iannella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:45:53 +1000

A colleague has indicated that the RelaxNG cardinality may be in correct in the xCard spec. Specifically, all the elements of ADR (eg pobox etc) and N (eg prefix etc) have "+" (oneOrMore) cardinality ?

Cheers...Renato

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:27:39 -0400

On 2012-06-16 23:45, Renato Iannella wrote:
> A colleague has indicated that the RelaxNG cardinality may be in
> correct in the xCard spec. Specifically, all the elements of ADR (eg
> pobox etc) and N (eg prefix etc) have "+" (oneOrMore) cardinality ?

The RFC is correct. In plain text vCard, each component is a 
comma-separated list, so that each component can have multiple values. 
Just like the N property.

      ADR-value = ADR-component-pobox ";" ADR-component-ext ";"
                  ADR-component-street ";" ADR-component-locality ";"
                  ADR-component-region ";" ADR-component-code ";"
                  ADR-component-country
      ADR-component-pobox    = list-component
      ADR-component-ext      = list-component
      ADR-component-street   = list-component
      ADR-component-locality = list-component
      ADR-component-region   = list-component
      ADR-component-code     = list-component
      ADR-component-country  = list-component

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Renato Iannella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:48:39 +1000

So in an <adr> element we can have:
 <country>Australia</country>
<country>Canada</country

?
Cheers...Renato

On 19/06/2012, at 12:27 AM, Simon Perreault <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The RFC is correct. In plain text vCard, each component is a comma-separated list, so that each component can have multiple values. Just like the N property.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> VCARDDAV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Renato Iannella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:54:02 +1000

We don't define "additional names" (apart from the english definition of the word). Is it fair to say these are "middle" names (ie anything between given and family names?)

Cheers...Renato

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:40:28 -0400

On 2012-06-18 21:48, Renato Iannella wrote:
> So in an<adr>  element we can have:

Yes, both in xCard and vCard. I didn't say it made sense.

       The text components are separated by the SEMICOLON character
       (U+003B).  Where it makes semantic sense, individual text
       components can include multiple text values (e.g., a "street"
       component with multiple lines) separated by the COMMA character
       (U+002C).

That excerpt is from vCard 4, but the same text was also present in 
vCard 3. IMHO it should be revised. For a street component with multiple 
lines, the right thing to do would be to encode newlines as "\n", as for 
any other property. I don't see any reason why multiple values need to 
be allowed for any ADR component.

Simon

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:42:42 -0400

On 2012-06-18 21:54, Renato Iannella wrote:
> We don't define "additional names" (apart from the english definition
> of the word). Is it fair to say these are "middle" names (ie anything
> between given and family names?)

In English, I think so.

I'm looking at X.520 and it seems we have diverged quite a bit from it. 
*sigh*

Simon