Subject: [VCARDDAV] RFC 6715

From: Michael Angstadt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 21:07:25 -0400

Hi everyone,

In the new RFC 6715, there appears to be a typo in sections 3.1 and 5.  The
"ORG-DIRECTORY" property is incorrectly referred to as "ORG-URI".

Also, the specs do not state how a list of properties should be sorted if
some of them have INDEX parameters and others do not.  I would think that
they should follow the same rules as the PREF parameter, which is:
properties WITHOUT the parameter are pushed to the end of the sorted list.
 For example, the properties below are presented in sorted order:

INTEREST;INDEX=1:hockey
INTEREST;INDEX=2:baseball
INTEREST:music

Thanks,
Mike Angstadt
http://code.google.com/p/ez-vcard

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 22:24:35 -0400

> Hi everyone,

Hi, Mike.

> "ORG-DIRECTORY" property is incorrectly referred to as "ORG-URI".

Damn.  We renamed the item at some point, and I missed changing it in
some spots.  Sigh.

> INTEREST;INDEX=2:baseball

This is also correct, and we meant to include that advice in the
document but it got left out.

Please submit two errata reports here:
   http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata.php

These are both substantive errors in the document, and should be
"Verified" as you've specified them here.  Thanks for catching them.

Barry (and Kepeng and Dany)

---

From: Michael Angstadt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:10:19 -0400

Ok, I'll do that.  Thanks Barry.

-Mike

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:25:54 -0400

Le 2012-09-06 22:24, Barry Leiba a écrit :
> This is also correct

I don't understand. In vCard, property order is irrelevant. PREF does 
not influence property order. I would advise against publishing this in 
an errata.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Michael Angstadt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 11:57:15 -0400

>
> I don't understand. In vCard, property order is irrelevant. PREF does not
> influence property order. I would advise against publishing this in an
> errata.

Yes, you're right, the PREF parameter doesn't (directly anyway) have
anything to do with property order.  I just used it as a model for what I
thought should be done if some properties have INDEX parameters and others
do not. :)

For example, the ordering of the following properties is very clear, since
they all have INDEX parameters:

INTEREST;INDEX=3:art
INTEREST;INDEX=4:music
INTEREST;INDEX=1:hockey

However, if some properties have INDEX parameters and others don't, the
spec doesn't spell how how they should be ordered (unless I missed
something).

INTEREST:art

Thanks,
-Mike

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Simon Perreault <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I don't understand. In vCard, property order is irrelevant. PREF does not
> influence property order. I would advise against publishing this in an
> errata.
>
> Simon
> --
> DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.**ca<http://postellation.viagenie.ca>
> ______________________________**_________________
> VCARDDAV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/vcarddav<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav>
>

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 12:02:46 -0400

Le 2012-09-07 11:57, Michael Angstadt a écrit :
> For example, the ordering of the following properties is very clear,
> since they all have INDEX parameters:
>
> INTEREST;INDEX=3:art

I think I understand. You're not talking about property ordering in the 
vCard file. You're talking about something at a higher level: ordering 
interest values based on the contents of the vCard file. Right?

If so, this makes total sense, so please continue and sorry for the 
interruption. :)

Simon

---

From: Michael Angstadt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:09:46 -0400

> interest values based on the contents of the vCard file. Right?

Yes, the actual ordering of the properties within the vCard file itself
doesn't matter (except for BEGIN, VERSION, and END of course ;) ).  It is
the responsibility of the mail client to parse the INDEX parameters and
sort the data in the UI accordingly.

I will submit these two findings to the errata probably later today if
that's OK.

Thanks,
-Mike

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:14:42 -0400

that's OK.

Mike actually made it three, and I've marked all three as Verified, and
have asked IANA to fix the vCard Properties registry for the ORG-DIRECTORY
entry (was ORG-URI).  Thanks again for catching these.

Barry