Subject: [Venue-selection] Europe

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 00:13:00 +0100

> Please send email to [email-masked] with the city name
> in the subject line (i.e. Subject: Toronto) of the email.  Please
> send comments for only one city per email.

Sorry, no. Asking me (or anyone) to send N mails isn't reasonable
when you send out a list with N=14.

Here are some comments:

- Athens: no specific knowledge, wouldn't mind going, would be surprised
  if it were a good choice
- Dublin: fine choice:-) I'd be happy to get local helpers again and
  help with site visits (I still get mails from the convention centre
  folks asking about the IETF) - naturally this'd be my fav choice.
- Edinburgh: great town, not sure if there's a good venue, you'd get
  complaints about the hills from IETFers if anywhere near the castle,
  but this'd be good if the venue were
- Glasgow: also fine town, don't know it as well as Edinburgh
- Malta: no clue, is it easy to get to from lots of hubs?
- Stockholm: 2nd best to Dublin in this list for me - we've been
  there, venue was fine and they may be others

Sadly, for both Scots venues, fecking brexit may cause uncertainties,
for even longer than for the rest of the UK - one scenario is that
the UK leaving the EU causes Scotland to revisit leaving the UK and
all of that could play out in the next 5-10 years which I guess may
be the relevant timeframe. That could cause currency and visa issues
for IETFers, or unfounded worries about same. Would probably be fine
if you had the SNP (political part currently in local govt.) on board
and supportive but without them, could be an issue.

Cheers,
S.