Subject: [vmeet] TOOL: Elluminate -- virtual meeting planned

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:07:28 -0700

Folks,

Elluminate - <http://elluminate.com/>

They have a 'free for 3' service that Fred, Eliot and I experimented with a few 
weeks ago.  It seems to be an entirely credible product.

I've gotten Elluminate to authorize our having a larger session, for up to 25 
people, so that we can conduct a session on a par with what we did for Webex.

I'll propose a 2 hour session, 2 weeks from now.

      Initial suggestion:  Tuesday, 26 may, 7am pacific daylight time.

We should target a real session, trying to achieve real work, even though we are 
likely to have to devote a major portion to tutorial on the tool.

We can also consider a second session, a la the webex process, for folks to each 
get a turn at hosting with the tool.

Yes?

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: "Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:01:12 +0200

Hey everyone,

altogether, I have found the loading time for Elluminate to be a lot faster
than for Webex.
It also appreared to use less resources on my local machine than Webex.

A bug & a feature from there:

1. my Elluminate was all in French. Checking through the docs, I have found
out that it:
"automatically inherits language settings of operating system"
I have found this feature annoying, in that I could not manually choose
another language, so when Dave described the features he was clicking on, I
needed to quickly think of the French equivalent.
Also - when I conduct a meeting in English, I wish to be able to make all
selections in English. Mixing languages just becomes confusing, even when
fluent.

2. Throughout the session, I was unable to speak and got a:
"java.lang.RuntimeException: Wave input device appears to be stopped. Error
0x80004005"
about 500msec after I clicked on the microphone icon.

After the meeting, John & I remained online for a short while, and whilst
his mic was turned off, I clicked on my mic - and it worked. But the moment
he turned his mic on to confirm he had heard me, I went back to the error &
my mic was automatically turned off. Methinks bug somewhere along the line.
I'm running Java 6. I tried calling it from MSIE 8 & Firefox 3.0.10. My
hardware is Pentium Core II Duo & O/S Windows XP 2002 SP3 with all the
patches.

Overall impressions:

1. I like the additional features this software has, especially the order of
hands-up
2. I do not like being whisked around rooms & sub-rooms (break-out rooms) by
the moderator without having any control over this
3. Not too impressed with stability due to error described above
4. Very irritated with not being able to change the language easily by
clicking an icon or something

I hope this helps,

O.

-- 
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html