Subject: [vnfpool] Information on Reliable Server Pooling (RSerPool)

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:46:41 +0200

Dear all,

as I had discussed with some of you at the IETF meeting in Berlin, Reliable Server 
Pooling (RSerPool) may be quite interesting in the context of Virtualized Network 
Function (VNF). Therefore, I have shortly summarized some useful RSerPool links for 
further information:

- There is an Open Source implementation of RSerPool available. It is called RSPLIB. It 
provides an ENRP server (registrar) and a library to write pool users (PU) and pool 
elements (PE) as well as lots of examples. RSPLIB can be downloaded here 
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh/rserpool/#Download . It is also included in 
Ubuntu Linux as well as in form of a port in FreeBSD. The implementation currently 
works under Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and MacOS X. RSPLIB is GPL-licensed.

- There is also an OMNeT++-based simulation model available. This is called RSPSIM 
and can be found here: http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh/rserpool/#Simulation . The model is also Open Source under GPL 
license as well.

- I maintain an up-to-date web page with lots of material on RSerPool. It is located 
here: http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh/rserpool/ . It particularly also 
contains a complete collection of RFCs, I-Ds as well as research documents.

- For an introduction to RSerPool and RSPLIB, I suggest to have a look into 
Dreibholz, Thomas: ``Reliable Server Pooling – Evaluation, Optimization and Extension 
of a Novel IETF Architecture[1]´´ (_PDF_, 9080 KiB), Ph.D. Dissertation, University of 
Duisburg-Essen, Faculty of Economics, Institute for Computer Science and Business 
Information Systems, URN urn:nbn:de:hbz:465-20070308-164527-0[2], March 7, 2007.

- If you are interested in current research on resilient networks, also have a look at the 
NorNet project website http://www.nntb.no/ . The Simula Research Laboratory is 
currently building up a testbed infrastructure for such research purposes.

Just write me an e-mail in case of any questions.

-- 
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vennlig hilsen

=====================================================================
==
 Thomas Dreibholz

 Simula Research Laboratory
 Simula Innovation AS, Network Systems Group
 Visiting address: Martin Linges vei 17, 1364 Fornebu, Norway
 Mailing address:  P.O.Box 134, 1325 Lysaker, Norway
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 E-Mail:     [email-masked]
 Homepage:   http://simula.no/people/dreibh
=====================================================================
==

--------
[1] http://duepublico.uni-duisburg-essen.de/servlets/DerivateServlet/Derivate-16326/Dre2006_final.pdf
[2] http://www.nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:hbz:465-20070308-164527-0