Subject: [vnfpool] vnfpool and rserpool

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:49:10 -0400

I found yesterday's BOF to be very useful, in terms of clarifying
the scope of the charter proposal and of identifying applicability
considerations in several scenarios.  We plan to get the next
iteration of the charter out next week, with some additional
text about policy.  Many thanks to everybody who participated.

This seems like a good time to post a reminder that we do have
a draft on the applicability of rserpool to the vnfpool problem.
This draft is not intended as a full gap analysis but it does
identify problems that must be addressed by a redundancy model
for VNF reliability, and looks at what is (and is not) provided
by rserpool.  In particular, section 4 says:

    The following features of RSerPool can be used for VNFPOOL:

    o  Pool management.
    o  PE selection with pool policies.
    o  Session management with help of ASAP_BUSINESS_CARD.

    The following features have to be added to RSerPool itself:

    o  Support of TCP including MPTCP as additional/alternative transport
       protocols.
    o  Possibly add some special pool policies?

    The following features have to be provided outside of RSerPool:

    o  State synchronisation for VNFPOOL.
    o  Pool Manager functionality as an RSerPool-based service.

Details are provided by the draft, which is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dreibholz-vnfpool-rserpool-applic-01.
Please note that the question of which technology to use for
vnfpool is open and will not be resolved until we have a full
set of agreed-upon requirements, and that the rserpool draft
was written as a demonstration of what might be possible with
existing IETF protocols.  We'd love to see similar drafts describing
the applicability of other protocols or technologies.

Thanks,

Melinda