Subject: Startup event & IP addresses

From: Srinivas Akkipeddi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:45:57 -0500 (CDT)

hello,

	we have some doubts in the ietf draft (rfc2338) . In the draft it
is mentioned that a virtual router is identified by its VRID and a set of
associated IP addresses . Could you please give a condition in a network
topology where a virtual router has more than 1 associated address.

	The other doubt that we had was , it is mentioned a transition
from thee initialise state to either the master or backup state is done on
receiving a startup event. We would like to know what the startup event
means.

Thanks
akki
gautam

---

From: Aruneesh Salhotra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 12:37:59 +0530

Hi Srinivas,
This is my first effort to send something on VRRP. Hope i will be of help to
you.
According to VRRP, there is a master and a set of back routers. The VRID
identifies a IP address for which are configuring VRRP in order to have backup
routers. It may be possible that the master router (say VRID 1) may be the
backup router for another master router (say VRID 2).
Likewise, consider the case that you have 3 Routers (A,B,C) of critical
importance. You reserve another router (D) which will act as a backup for all
the three routers. Whenever either of A,B, or C goes down, D will respond to
the ARP requests for the failed router.
Another scenario could be there are 2 routers (B,C) backing for a router (A).
Suppose A goes down, B takes over. If now B goes down, C takes up (which will
depend on the priority set for the routers A,B,C).

For the init->master or init->backup state, its been sometime that i read that
RFC, but the state transition happens which there is an exchange of VRRP
advertisments on a multicast address 222.18.0.254 (verify this ?) .... where
the routers on which VRRP is configured respond with their proirities. Thus
master and backup are decided.
Thanx. Hope it helps you.
Bye
Aruneesh