Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (by way of Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:22:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Working 
Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol for IPv6
	Author(s)	: B. Hinden
	Filename	: draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 24-Oct-01
	
This memo defines the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) for
IPv6.  It is version three (3) of the protocol.  It is based on the
original version of VRRP (version 2) for IPv4 that is defined in
RFC2238.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt>

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:36:07 -0700

Pekka,

>Hopefully vrrp@ does not require subscription..

Yes, it does.  There was too much spam.....  Please subscribe and continue 
the discussion there.

>On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, by way of Bob Hinden <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > RFC2338.
>The draft specifies VRRP version 3.
>
>VRRP version 3 no longer supports IPv4.
>
>If VRRPv2 is to revised for IPv4, what would be their version number?
>
>IMO, VRRPv3 should perhaps support both IPv4 and IPv6; e.g. a one-bit flag
>from the reserved field (1 for IPv6, 0 for IPv4), to select the header
>format and used address family.

This was discussed in the VRRP w.g. some time ago and there was a decision 
made to not have a dual protocol version of VRRP.

Also, after rewriting it to use IPv6, I think having one document that 
describes both the IPv4 and IPv6 address resolution mechanism (i.e., ARP 
and ND) everywhere in the document would make the document very complicated 
and hard to understand.  I think it is much simpler to keep the two separate.

If VRRPv2 (for IPv4) needs to be revised in some incomparable way either a 
new message type could be used, or perhaps VRRPv4.  The version and message 
types are four bits each.  Not too likely we will run out soon.  Also, 
VRRPv2 has been stable for a long while.

Again please continue the discussion on the VRRP mailing 
list.   Subscription info follows.

Bob

-------

To subscribe to the VRRP list, send an email to:

   [email-masked]

with

   subscribe vrrp <your_name>

in the body of the message.