Subject: VRRP for IPv6 draft and VRRP Session at IETF 52 in Salt Lake City

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:31:19 -0700

Based on some discussion on the VRRP and IPng mailing lists, I have written 
a VRRP for IPv6 draft.  The protocol operates in the same manner as VRRP 
(for IPv4) as defined in RFC2338.  The same virtual router master/backup(s) 
model, state machine works the same way, etc.  The changes to the 
specification include:

     o Increment VRRP version to 3.
     o Change packet format to support an 128-bit IPv6 address.
     o Change to only support one router address (instead of multiple
       addresses).  This included removing address count field from
       header.
     o Rewrote text to specify IPv6 Neighbor Discovery mechanisms
       instead of ARP.
     o Changed state machine actions to use Neighbor Discovery
       mechanisms.  This includes sending unsolicited Neighbor
       Advertisements, Receiving Neighbor Solicitations, joining the
       appropriate solicited node multicast group, sending Router
       Advertisements, and receiving Router Solicitations.

Plus a general rewrite of the introduction and some of the other overview 
sections.

I took the liberty of making it a VRRP w.g. draft as there was some 
discussion on the vrrp list and it is a work item in the w.g. charter.

Until the new Internet Draft is out, the draft can be found at:

  http://playground.sun.com/pub/hinden/vrrp/draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-00.txt

I will request a one hour slot at the Salt Lake City IETF meeting in 
December for the VRRP working group to meet.  The main agenda topic will be 
to discuss this draft.  Please let me know if you have any other topics you 
would like discussed.

Thanks,
Bob