Subject: VRRP & OpenSource issue

From: "Alexandre CASSEN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 10:12:52 +0100

Hello,

I am sending this email to obtain some clarifications about patents on VRRP
protocol and application of this patents to OpenSource ?

I am from the LinuxVirtualServer OpenSource project
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org

We have done a VRRP implementation to use with LVS, with a little RFC
modification adding a VRRP Instance synchronization facility (a monitored
circuit ala Nokia like). You can find internals implementation issue in
this paper :
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~acassen/LVS-HA-using-VRRPv2.pdf

but what about : http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR//VRRP-CISCO &
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/NAT-VRRP-IBM

And the 2 patents :
>From CISCO : http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US06108300__
>From Nortel Network : http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=EP01006702A3

=> When We read this papers we can't find any OpenSource restrictions...

Can someone give me officials information on that point ?

Best regards,
Alexandre Cassen
LinuxVirtualServer OpenSource Project
[email-masked]

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:01:18 -0800

Alexandre,

  You need to contact Robert Barr at [email-masked]
  and clarify the patent issue with him.
-- 
Alex Zinin

>>From Nortel Network : http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=EP01006702A3

=>> When We read this papers we can't find any OpenSource restrictions...