Subject: [VRRP] ICMP unreachable

From: "Don Provan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:03:20 -0700

While implementing VRRP support, I had a bug that caused a non-owner
master to send ICMP destination unreachable messages in response
to packets aimed at one of the Virtual Router Addresses. I fixed the
bug, but it occurs to me that this might be considered valid: the fact
is that the non-owner master knows very well that that IP address is
indeed utterly unreachable.

I didn't hesitate to fix the bug because it seems unlikely that those
unreachable messages would be any more than disruptive, but does
anyone with more VRRP experience than me have an opinion on them?

And, on a slightly broader note, although the spec is very specific
about ICMP redirects, it does not mention other ICMP messages. I
assume that mean all other ICMP messages should use the primary IP
address as the source even when responding to traffic aimed at the
virtual router. Right?

(The amusing observation is that if this weren't true, the destination
unreachable message I mention would use the unreachable address as the
packet's source address: "You cannot reach me.")

-don provan
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp