Subject: [VRRP] Patent issue for implementing the VRRP protocol

From: "Anumita Biswas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:54:12 -0700

Hi,

I found a lot of information about the patent issues with Cisco and IBM on the web. But found no mails related to how the issues were resolved by IETF. 

The vrrp mail archive has also not been webified and it is difficult for me to access the archive via ftp.

Please can someone let me know what is the current status of the patent issues. Can anyone go ahead and implement the VRRP protocol. Or should they get a license from Cisco and IBM. Who would be the contact people at Cisco and IBM.

Thanks!
Anumita.

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 20:54:05 +1100

Hi Anumita,

Was just browsing around the IETF working groups page, looking at the
Inter Domain Routing group page, and came across this draft :

Guidelines for Working Groups on Intellectual Property Issues

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-wg-guidelines-00.txt

Might go some way to helping you find out what you need to know about IP
(the other IP :-) ) and patent issues. I haven't read it yet, but VRRP
is listed as one of the sections.

Regards,
Mark.

---

From: "A. K. Srikanth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:25:03 -0500

Folks,

  Adnan Onart and I have authored a book on VRRP titled VRRP: Increasing
Reliability and Failover with the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
published by Addison Wesley. It is available at the usual
suspects...amazon.com, barnes and noble.com..

  Some of you on this list have provided us valuable feedback and helped us.
Many Thanks !

Now that we have a framework, the purpose of this email is to gather the
great collective intelligence and experience of the members on this mailing
list to help improve the book and promote the protocol.

So if you happen to read the book and find errata or areas of improvement or
parts that could be clarified better with concrete examples, please send me
a private email at [email-masked]. We will add it to the reprint.
Please also add a section providing your correctly spelled name so we can
acknowledge your contribution

Thank you !

Ayikudy Srikanth

---

From: Allan Liska <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:33:27 -0500

Hello A.,

Wednesday, October 30, 2002, 10:25:03 AM, you wrote:

AKS> So if you happen to read the book and find errata or areas of improvement or
AKS> parts that could be clarified better with concrete examples, please send me
AKS> a private email at [email-masked]. We will add it to the reprint.
AKS> Please also add a section providing your correctly spelled name so we can
AKS> acknowledge your contribution

It would be a lot easier on us if you would just send us all free
copies of the book :).  Congratulations on the new book!

allan
- --
Allan Liska
[email-masked]
http://www.allan.org