Subject: [VRRP] draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-05.txt lacks IPR clause

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:43:18 +0900

draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-05.txt does not have IPR clause on it,
	even though cisco claims to have patent related to it.
	http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/cisco-ipr-draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec.txt

itojun

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:52:18 -0700

Itojun,

>         http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/cisco-ipr-draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec.txt

I wasn't aware of this claim on VRRP for IPv6 when the current draft was 
submitted.  I will add an IPR clause in the next version.

Thanks,
Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:46:23 +0900 (JST)

btw, KAME have removed VRRP6 implementation from the distribution
	because of the IPR statement (it conflicts with our policy about
	IPR).  there's ongoing work called "carp" which is specifically
	designed to avoid infringing cisco patent on HSRP by avoiding core
	details, so KAME would integrate that eventually.

itojun

--- KAME IPR policy
9. Policy on technology with intellectual property right restriction

There are quite a few IETF documents/whatever which has intellectual property
right (IPR) restriction.  KAME's stance is stated below.

    The goal of KAME is to provide freely redistributable, BSD-licensed,
    implementation of Internet protocol technologies.
    For this purpose, we implement protocols that (1) do not need license
    contract with IPR holder, and (2) are royality-free.
    The reason for (1) is, even if KAME contracts with the IPR holder in
    question, the users of KAME stack (usually implementers of some other
    codebase) would need to make a license contract with the IPR holder.
    it would damage "freely redistributable" status of KAME codebase.

    By doing so KAME is (implicitly) trying to advocate no-license-contract,
    royality-free, release of IPRs.

Note however, as documented in README, we do not guarantee that KAME code
is free of IPR infringement, you MUST check it if you are to integrate
KAME into your product (or whatever):
    READ CAREFULLY: Several countries have legal enforcement for
    export/import/use of cryptographic software.  Check it before playing
    with the kit.  We do not intend to be your legalease clearing house
    (NO WARRANTY).  If you intend to include KAME stack into your product,
    you'll need to check if the licenses on each file fit your situations,
    and/or possible intellectual property right issues.