Subject: [VRRP] VRRP virtual mac-address

From: Manjula j <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:51:32 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
   
  Can anyone please explain me how the virtual ip address is resolved? Does the MASTER router have an ARP entry for virtual ip address as mapped to virtual mac-address as well as to the interface mac-address? What arp entires will the BACKUP router have?
   
  Waiting eagerly for the explanation.
   
  Thanks in advance.
   
  Regards,
  Manjula

---------------------------------
 Find out what India is talking about on  - Yahoo! Answers India 
 Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: "don provan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:21:38 -0700

All VRs have an ARP mapping for the VR IP address to the VR MAC address,
although only the Master should respond to ARP queries. That is the only ARP
mapping for the VR IP address that anyone should have and the only mapping
for the VR IP address that anyone should ever advertise.
 
I'm glad you asked this question because I consider this one of the more
important things to understand about VRRP: there is no relation between the
IP VR and any physical MAC address.
-don

  _____  

From: Manjula j [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 12:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [VRRP] VRRP virtual mac-address

Hi,
 
Can anyone please explain me how the virtual ip address is resolved? Does
the MASTER router have an ARP entry for virtual ip address as mapped to
virtual mac-address as well as to the interface mac-address? What arp
entires will the BACKUP router have?

Thanks in advance.
 
Regards,
Manjula

  _____  

Find out what India is talking about on - Yahoo!
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/in/yanswers/*http://in.answers.yahoo.com/>
Answers India 
Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/in/messengertagline/*http://in.messenger.yahoo.
com> it NOW
_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: "Mansu Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:17:14 -0500

Hello all,

I would like to ask your comments on " The first address must be the
IPv6 link-local
   address associated with the virtual router.  " from VRRP v3 draft.

As Link Local address is already used at IPv6 header of VRRP
announcement, I think this information is redundant. 
I wonder you opinion on this.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-ipv6-spec-07.txt
5.3.8  IPv6 Address(es)

   One or more IPv6 addresses associated associated with the virtual
   router.  The number of addresses included  is specified in the "Count
   IP Addr" field.  The first address must be the IPv6 link-local
   address associated with the virtual router.  These fields are used
   for troubleshooting misconfigured routers.  If more than one address
   is sent it is recommended that all routers be configured to send
   these addresses in the same order to make it easier to do this
   comparison.

Thanks,
-mansu