Subject: [weirds] Variants search results

From: Ernie Dainow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:54:55 -0400

Current drafts don't specify anything about handling variants on a domain
search. If an RDAP user is searching for a domain, they are probably
interested in names that are "taken" because they are variants, as well as
registered names. There are different ways this could be handled.

1) Integrate variants into the domain search result. If a result is a
variant rather than a registered domain, it should be indicated as such,
for example by adding the variantNames array in the result list:
     "domains" :
     [
       {
         "handle" : "1-XXXX",
 "ldhName" : "xn--fo1-cka.example",
 "unicodeName" : "foo1.example"
         "variantNames" :
         [
           {
             "ldhName" : "xn--fo2-cka.example",
             "unicodeName" : "foo2.example"
           },
   ...
  ],

It's possible that the search pattern matches the domain and not the
variant, or vice versa. Several actions are possible here:
a) The same full result (domain and all variants), as would be returned in
a domain lookup, is returned in either case.
b) If the search pattern matches the domain but not the variant, the
variant is not returned.
c) If the search pattern matches the variant but not the domain, I think it
is necessary to return the parent domain as well as the variant. Otherwise
the user cannot follow up with other searches or lookups to get more
information about the registration.

2) Have a separate search query specifically for variants. This may make
the results more straightforward than 1), but may be less convenient for
the user who has to remember to send two queries if they are interested in
variants in the result.

3) no variants, leave for a later RDAP release with "advanced" search

thoughts?

-Ernie

---

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:51:42 +0800

In a registry perspective, I think 1. The same full result, makes most sense
as the Primary IDN and its IDN Variants are considered one allocation.

Edmon

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Ernie Dainow
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [weirds] Variants search results

1) Integrate variants into the domain search result. If a result is a
variant rather than a registered domain, it should be indicated as such, for
example by adding the variantNames array in the result list:

     "domains" :

     [

       {

         "handle" : "1-XXXX",

         "variantNames" :

         [

           {

           },

             ...

            ],

a) The same full result (domain and all variants), as would be returned in a
domain lookup, is returned in either case.

b) If the search pattern matches the domain but not the variant, the variant
is not returned.

2) Have a separate search query specifically for variants. This may make the
results more straightforward than 1), but may be less convenient for the
user who has to remember to send two queries if they are interested in
variants in the result.

thoughts?

-Ernie

  _____  

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3392 / Virus Database: 3211/6612 - Release Date: 08/27/13