Subject: [weirds] Comments on draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-06

From: Ernie Dainow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:53:37 -0400

3.1.2. where XXX is an asplain autonomous system number [RFC5396].
There were several suggestions on the previous draft about improved 
wording for "asplain". The most consistent change would be to use the 
wording in 3.1, "an AS Plain autonomous system number".

3.2.1. Domain Search
Domain search requires a qualifier, ldhName or unicodeName. So the 
client has to figure out what type of name is being searched. This is 
inconsistent with domain lookup, where the server is expected to 
distinguish between ldh and unicode names, and there is no work for the 
client.

3.2.3. Entity Search
Entity lookup is by handle, but search is by name. This seems somewhat 
inconsistent, but practical, since search by name is generally more 
useful. For more completeness, perhaps there should also be a search by 
handle. It is supported by some existing whois servers. See for example, 
whois -h whois.pir.org contact 35975136-%

-Ernie

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 2013 18:13:20 -0000

>distinguish between ldh and unicode names, and there is no work for the 

The two aren't the same.

If you have a complete domain name, you can tell from inspection that
it's either ldh or not.  If you have a pattern like "ab*", you can't
tell whether the * is intended to match ldh or unicode without some
extra help.

R's,
John

---

From: Ernie Dainow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:00:02 -0400

The client software doesn't know whether to do a ldh or unicode search so
it has to be specified by the user. But the user likely wants to know all
domains that begin with "ab", whether they are IDNs or not. This pattern
splits search into two classes -- Latin script domains and all other
scripts.

-Ernie

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 01:09:06 +0000

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ernie Dainow
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:00 PM
To: John Levine
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [weirds] Comments on draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-06

The client software doesn't know whether to do a ldh or unicode search so it has to be specified by the user. But the user likely wants to know all domains that begin with "ab", whether they are IDNs or not. This pattern splits search into two classes -- Latin script domains and all other scripts.

So what would you suggest?

Scott

---

From: Ernie Dainow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:43:51 -0400

I thought the specification in draft-hollenbeck-weirds-rdap-search-02 would
work, domains/?name=<domain search pattern>
Any unicode/ldh considerations are handled by the server, as in the
query domain/<domain
name>

-Ernie

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Hollenbeck, Scott <[email-masked]
> wrote:

>    *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On
> Behalf Of *Ernie Dainow
> *Sent:* Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:00 PM
> *To:* John Levine
> *Cc:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [weirds] Comments on draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-06****
>
> ** **
>
> scripts.****
> ** **
> So what would you suggest?****
>
> ** **
>
> Scott****
>