Subject: [weirds] Question: Nameserver data looked up by IP address

From: Naoki Kambe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:40:09 +0900 (JST)

Dear WG,

Some existing whois servers might be able to accept a query for
nameserver by an IP address.  And new gTLD registries are required to
do so according to the spec 4 of the new registry agreement:

  1.7.1 Query format: 
           whois "NS1.EXAMPLE.TLD",
           whois "nameserver (nameserver name)", or
           whois "nameserver (IP Address)"  <---- *

So, on an RDAP server, should this be implemented? If yes, how should
it be looked up?  For example, if nameserver data to be looked up is
assigned to 192.0.2.1, which way should be used?

  http://example.com/.well-known/rdap/ip/192.0.2.1
  or 
  http://example.com/.well-known/rdap/nameserver/192.0.2.1

As long as I roughly read the existing I-Ds about query and response
on RDAP, I couldn't find this answer. If this topic was already
discussed on this list, sorry for the duplication.

Regards,

Naoki Kambe

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 13:06:26 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: weirds [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Naoki Kambe
> Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 12:40 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [weirds] Question: Nameserver data looked up by IP address
> 
> Dear WG,
> 
> As long as I roughly read the existing I-Ds about query and response on
> RDAP, I couldn't find this answer. If this topic was already discussed
> on this list, sorry for the duplication.

rdap-query doesn't currently describe a method for nameserver lookup by IP address. If we do that we'd use the "nameserver" path segment.

The new registry agreement describes requirements for whois (not RDAP) service, so I don't want to blindly assume that it's a requirement for us. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't think about adding it, though. Should we? It doesn't seem unreasonable. Examples:

nameserver/192.0.2.0
nameserver/2001:db8::0

Scott

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:17:52 -0500

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 01:06:26PM +0000, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> nameserver/2001:db8::0

I suppose, but it's a little strange.  NS records only contain names,
and an IP address might be the A/AAAA RDATA at several names.  How
would you know which nameserver you were talking about?

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:45:21 +0000

>would you know which nameserver you were talking about?

I agree. This more like a search than a lookup.

If we want to support this, it should be /nameservers?ip=X where X is
either an IPv4 or IPv6 address.

-andy

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2014 16:48:26 -0000

>would you know which nameserver you were talking about?

You wouldn't.  It's inherently a wildcard query.

If we have wildcard queries for nameservers, we could treat it the
same way.  If not, I'm inclined to say that the server is allowed to
pick any server with that address and treat it as a request about that
server.

R's,
John