Subject: Re: [weirds] rdap-query and .well-known

From: Guillaume Leclanche <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:47:35 -0500

2013/12/18 Hollenbeck, Scott <[email-masked]>:
> Since the discussion on search text seems to be winding down I wanted to revisit what I think is the last bit of "are we sure?" text in rdap-query-08: the well known URL text. I've cc'd Mark Nottingham in the hope of continuing to discussion that stopped with these messages from John and Simon:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/weirds/current/msg03387.html
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/weirds/current/msg03390.html
>
> Mark, some additional guidance on the need for this approach would be helpful.

It seems that Christmas stopped the public debate here; where does the
working group stand regarding this issue ?

In my opinion, there is no need for the .well-known prefix: the server
reached over HTTP is not a Web server, but a RDAP server that speaks
some HTTP. It will not deliver content to web browsers, but to RDAP
clients. Hence there is no conflict with the "Web" namespace, and
.well-known is not necessary.

Guillaume

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jan 2014 17:37:06 -0000

>.well-known is not necessary.

I agree with you, but I expect that without .well-known we'll get
blocking discusses from the IESG, and I don't feel strongly enough to
have a huge fight.

Also, this still depends on how the bootstrap discussions end up.  If
the bootstrap is a table of URIs, the prefix is irrelevant since the
URIs will be whatever they are.  If the bootstrap is just host names,
e.g. from SRV in the TLD, only then does .well-known matter.

R's,
John

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:54:23 -0800

No hat.

> .well-known is not necessary.

I don't agree.  RDAP is a format for registration data, and the preferred
transport is HTTP.  We thus live in HTTP space, at least within the
construct of the "using-http" draft, and the rules of operating in that
space apply to us.

If we want to register a new URI scheme (rdap://server/...), that's
possibly a different story, but then we have a lot more work to do as
that's not the path we're on right now.

-MSK

---

From: Guillaume Leclanche <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:22:46 -0500

2014/1/15 Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]>:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Guillaume Leclanche
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>

We do: the .well-known is creating a namespace for server metadata.
The information queried and returned to and from the server using
rdap-query draft syntax is not server metadata. In my understanding,
the .well-known could be used if we wanted to define, for example, how
to get the rdap server version, configuration, or the list of features
available. Actually it could maybe be used for the help path.

Guillaume