Subject: [weirds] WGLC review for draft-ietf-weirds-using-http

From: Tom Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 09:12:13 +1000

The document looks good.  One thing to consider is the following text
in section 3:

    First, each query is meant to return either zero or one result.
    With the maximum upper bound being set to one, the issuance of
    redirects is simplified to the traditional query/response model
    used by HTTP [RFC7230].  Should an entity contain more than one
    result, some of which are better served by other servers, the
    redirection model becomes much more complicated.

Now that searches are described in rdap-query and json-response, this
text is a bit confusing.  I think the following would work:

    First, each lookup query is meant to return either zero or one
    result.  With the maximum upper bound being set to one, the
    issuance of redirects is simplified to the traditional
    query/response model used by HTTP [RFC7230].  Search queries may
    return multiple results; for these, the server will generally
    answer as best it can from the data immediately available to it.

-Tom

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 19:28:38 +0000

>    answer as best it can from the data immediately available to it.

Maybe something a little more direct:

  First, each query is meant to return only one path of execution to obtain an
  answer. A response may contain an answer, no answer, or a redirect, and
  clients are not expected to fork multiple paths of execution to satisfy a query.

-andy

---

From: Tom Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:00:20 +1000

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 07:28:38PM +0000, Andy Newton wrote:
>> The document looks good.  One thing to consider is the following
>> text in section 3:
>> 
>> Now that searches are described in rdap-query and json-response,
>> this text is a bit confusing.  I think the following would work:
>> 
>   First, each query is meant to return only one path of execution to
>   obtain an answer. A response may contain an answer, no answer, or
>   a redirect, and clients are not expected to fork multiple paths of
>   execution to satisfy a query.

Thanks, this is better.

-Tom