Subject: [Wish] I-D Action: draft-ietf-wish-whip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 07:57:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the WebRTC Ingest Signaling over HTTPS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : WebRTC-HTTP ingestion protocol (WHIP)
        Authors         : Sergio Garcia Murillo
                          Alexandre Gouaillard
	Filename        : draft-ietf-wish-whip-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2021-08-22

Abstract:
   While WebRTC has been very successful in a wide range of scenarios,
   its adoption in the broadcasting/streaming industry is lagging
   behind.  Currently there is no standard protocol (like SIP or RTSP)
   designed for ingesting media in a streaming service, and content
   providers still rely heavily on protocols like RTMP for it.

   These protocols are much older than webrtc and lack by default some
   important security and resilience features provided by webrtc with
   minimal delay.

   The media codecs used in older protocols do not always match those
   being used in WebRTC, mandating transcoding on the ingest node,
   introducing delay and degrading media quality.  This transcoding step
   is always present in traditional streaming to support e.g.  ABR, and
   comes at no cost.  However webrtc implements client-side ABR, also
   called Network-Aware Encoding by e.g.  Huavision, by means of
   simulcast and SVC codecs, which otherwise alleviate the need for
   server-side transcoding.  Content protection and Privacy Enhancement
   can be achieved with End-to-End Encryption, which preclude any
   server-side media processing.

   This document proposes a simple HTTP based protocol that will allow
   WebRTC endpoints to ingest content into streaming services and/or
   CDNs to fill this gap and facilitate deployment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-wish-whip/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-wish-whip-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/