Subject: Cache organisation

From: SAILLARD Nicolas CNET/DSE/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:24:03 +0200

Hi,

	I study the interest of having a dynamic organisation of caches in
an 
architecture ( Sibling and peer relation will be able to move ) . For this
task I need
 to define a new way for exchanging information inside a caching
architecture which
 could be a new protocol.

At each level of a caching mesh ( local, regional, national) , it will be
useful
 to have a server which centralises information about  caches inside a
domain. 
Such a server will be able to deliver to each cache inside the domain, its
configuration 
file or information that define peer and siblings. The purpose is to give
caches the ability 
to be automatically and dynamically configured inside the architecture.
Squid has the 
ability to re-read its configuration file, so we can imagine a caching
architecture that 
automatically react to event like a new cache entering the domain or a cache
failing 
down. Then it will be interesting to define algorithm in order to find the
best organisation
 of caching resources inside the domain. 

This server will need the following abilities:

     Requesting upside domain cache information server ( for retrieving
information about
 peer relation )
     Sending the configuration to caches inside the domain.

Caches will need these one:

     Registering to the server the first time the cache is connected 
     Retrieving information from the server (sibling and peer relation)
     Informing the server about difficulties to reach an other cache.

It present similarities with WPAD, but here pac file are caches
configuration file and it
 is not for configuring clients but all the caching architecture.

Such a protocol will permit to study algorithm for dynamic organisation of a
caching 
architecture. It will also be helpful for cache management ( for example, a
cache that fails 
could be automatically by-passed )

Any reactions about this ?

Nicolas.

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------------------------------
> SAILLARD Nicolas
> CNET Caen/DSE/SPI/WEI            e-mail :
> [email-masked]
> 42 rue des coutures
> BP 6243                                           Téléphone (33) 2 31 75
> 92 47
> 14066 CAEN CEDEX  4                   Télécopie  (33) 2 31 73 56 26
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>