Subject: CFP for Special Sessions in MMNS'2001

From: "MMNS'2001" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:03:46 -0600

<< OUR APOLOGIES FOR MULTIPLE COPIES >>

CALL FOR PAPERS for Special Sessions in
the Fourth IFIP/IEEE International Conference on
Management of Multimedia Networks and Services (MMNS'2001)

October 29- November 1, 2001, Chicago, Illinois, USA
(http://www.mnlab.cs.depaul.edu/mmns2001)

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline:    April 20, 2001
Notification of acceptance:  July 1, 2001
Final version due:    July 21, 2001

MMNS has identified a number ``focus topics'' that are of particular
relevance and importance to the field of multimedia network and service
management. MMNS plans to conduct special sessions to address such hot
issues. Papers submitted to these special sessions will go through the
normal submission and review procedure. The goal is to build special
sessions of exceptional papers all dealing with a closely related theme.
The set of focus topics include the following:

* INTERNET TRAFFIC MONITORING:  The focus of this special session
is on techniques and methodologies for collecting Internet traffic
statistics,
descriptions of collection systems implemented and deployed in the
Internet, results from these systems, and analyses of these results
describing how multimedia networks and services can be better managed.
For questions about this special session, contact Kevin Almeroth
([email-masked]).

* Multimedia in AD-HOC NETWORKS: Networks of the future are envisioned
to integrate the Internet with wireless mobile embedded devices and
ad-hoc networks. Ad-hoc networks are collections of wireless mobile
nodes that can be deployed rapidly without pre-existing or centralized
communication  infrastructure. These networks should support various
types of multimedia traffic, including audio, video, TC-based data,
and sensory data. Due to the nature of ad-hoc networks, number of new
challenges must be addressed in order to facilitate seamless services of
Ad-hoc networks. This includes unicast and multicast routing protocols,
power-aware protocols in almost all layers of the network stack, quality
and guarantee of service provisioning for multimedia traffic,
self-configuring
hierarchies and architectures, address allocation and naming, data
dissemination techniques, efficient mobility support, fault and performance
management tools, performance analysis of end-to-end protocols such as TCP
and reliable multicast over ad-hoc networks. For questions about this
special
session, contact Ahmed Helmy ([email-masked])

* RESOURCE MANAGEMENT FOR WIRELESS MULTIMEDIA: Broadband wireless
multimedia services are becoming very popular. This special session will
focus on
architectures and techniques for supporting QoS Internet wireless
multimedia.
The session is looking for original contributions in this demanding area
that
address related issues. This includes integration of personal wireless
multimedia into the Internet, efficient resource management techniques that
consider the limited resources in wireless systems, such as spectrum
resource
and transmitter power, mobility management, bandwidth allocation, location
and handoff procedures, channel access and assignment, call admission
control,
and end-to-end adaptive control for wireless multimedia. For questions about
this special session, contact Raouf Boutaba([email-masked]).

* MOBILE AGENT-BASED NETWORK MANAGEMENT: Research and
development on various forms of agents and mobile agents is continuing to
grow
in a staggering fashion in recent years. Agent-based telecommunication
applications and services such as active networks, Qos and bandwidth
brokers,
E-commerce, information gathering on Internet, and feature interactions are
becoming increasingly popular and are largely contributing to the
development
and to the success of distributed multimedia  technology. This session will
focus
on research and development activities related to the field of agents in the
area of
active networks, and QoS agent-based architectures for managing multimedia
networks
and distributed services. The objective is to provide the audiences with a
clear
background into the opportunities and the challenges that the mobile agent
emerging
paradigm brings about For questions about this special session, contact
Ahmed Karmouch ([email-masked]), Nazism Agoulmine
([email-masked])
or Allan Marshall ([email-masked])