Subject: [XCON] Comments on draft-ietf-xcon-framework-01.txt - templates VS blueprints

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:36:01 -0500

Hello,
 
As part of the review of framwork document i wanted to raise some issue
relating to blueprint and template definition and use in the draft. I am
not sure if this issues have been raised before (I know Dave had sent
some comments regarding blueprints and templates), but if it has accept
my apologies. I am just trying to understand clearly the definition and
difference between templates and blueprint.
 
On page 7 (section 3, 3 paragraph), it says "For conference creation, a
Conference  Object provides a "blueprint" representing the System
Capabilities". By system capabilities does it mean what types of media
is allowed, how many participants can participate in the conference,
what types of media control are available to the participants, etc" If
that is so, then how different it is from conference template (which is
part of the conference object).? So my question is what is System
capabilties and how are they indicated in the blueprint which is
different from the way they are indicated in the conference template.
 
On page 19 section 6.2 last paragraph), the draft says "The selected
blueprint with its default values is copied by the server into a newly
created Conference Object, referred to as an 'Active Conference'. Do we
mean blueprint or conference tempalate here ? Does the blueprint has
default values and if so what types of default values does it assume. I
know the templates have default values (like the MUTE control by default
is disabled). This is a little confusing to me since in section 6.3
(second paragraph) the drafts says "Firstly, a client would query a
Conferencing System for its capabilities.  This can be done by
requesting a list of the Conference Object "blueprints" (or templates)
the system supports". Clearly here it means conference templates since
conference templates defines what the conference server supports in
terms of media, control, participant roles etc (which you mention later
in the paragraph). So why distinguish between 2 different scenrios,
unless blueprint and templates means the same.
 
Finally an example of an blueprint (may be XML) would really aid in
understanding how the conference server uses it to create a conference
object.

BR
 
Umesh

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon