Subject: [XCON] Conference Control: Path Forward

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:29:15 -0600

[as chair]

In Vancouver, the XCON chairs outlined a process by which we would 
attempt to meet our proposed milestones. This message summarizes that 
process, as amended by the input we received from the XCON participants.

   1. Proposals for candidates for the Conference Control Protocol (CCP)
      must be submitted in internet-draft format no later than December
      31st, 2005. The draft does not need to be complete; however, there
      must be sufficient detail to make clear how the proposed protocol
      would be used to modify information in both the Common Conference
      Information and Conference Template. (See
      draft-ietf-xcon-framework for definitions).

   2. All protocols to be considered additionally need a brief message
      from an author and/or proponent of the corresponding draft that
      explains the design decisions taken in the design of the protocol,
      as well as a summary of strengths and drawbacks of the approach.
      Such proponents should contact the XCON chairs to coordinate.
          * Such proponents should discuss implementation lessons, if
            available, around using their proposed protocol to modify
            the Common Conference Information.
          * Separately, such proponents should additionally discuss
            implementation lessons, if available, around using their
            proposed protocol to modify the Conference Template.

   3. Starting in early January, the chairs will call for discussion on
      the mailing list to gauge the overall direction the working group
      wishes to proceed.

   4. Between now and January, interested parties should discuss their
      requirements around the CCP on the mailing list. These discussions
      should assist in coming to consensus on the CCP that XCON will use.

Hopefully, the result of the January discussions will resolve to a 
single approach (either by selection of one of the proposals or by 
combining one or more of them into a unified proposal).

/a

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:21:50 -0600

[as chair]

If anyone in the working group cares about the protocol we end up 
selecting for conference control -- or, indeed, finishing our work at 
all -- they are strongly advised to participate in this conversation. If 
we can't get any participation around our deliverables, we really have 
no choice but to shut the working group down.

/a