Subject: [XCON] Comment on draft-boulton-xcon-msrp-conferencing-02

From: "MARJOU Xavier RD-MAPS-LAN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:11:26 +0100

Hi, 

Some time ago, in the SIMPLE WG, there was a comment that there is a
problem when a participant sends large amounts of data and one of the
"receiving" participants is behind a low bandwidth access link. 

I think that this point must be addressed in the draft: what happens in
such a case? Does the MSRP conference server remove such a participant,
or is the "sending" participant asked to slow down its sending flow?
(depending on the solution there may be extensions needed within the
MSRP)

Perhaps that some work from Reliable Multicast Transport WG could be
re-used. I don't know about this WG, but when I look at its charter, it
seems that similar issues are addressed.

Xavier

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:21:27 -0500

Xavier,

This is a conference server after all, so it should probably be prepared 
  to do some work. In this case I would hope the focus would buffer the 
message and dribble it to the slow recipient, without impacting other 
participants.

Of course, if data keeps coming at an aggregate rate greater than this 
slow participant can receive it, the buffer can grow without bound. So 
at some point the focus will have to stop buffering. Then it needs to 
give up on the slow participant.

	Paul