Subject: [XCON] Detailed FW changes to remove references to policy in data model

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:26:31 -0500

Per the email thread on "Removing policies from the framework document
(and data model)" earlier today, 
the following are the detailed changes I would propose to the framework
to remove the references to policy being an integral part of the data
model, but keeping the concept of policy in informational terms for
discussion within the framework document:

Section 5: 
OLD: 
  "The centralized conferencing data model defined in this framework has
   no strict separation between conference membership, conference media
   information and the related policies.  The policies are an integral
   part of the data model and are realized by local, system level
   boundaries associated with specific data elements, such as the
   membership, and by the ranges and limitations on other data elements.
   Additional policy considerations for a system realization based on
   this data model are discussed in Section 5.2.  The integration of the
   data in this model meets the requirement of many conference control
   operations to enable synchronized access to the integral conference
   policies, to the conference state as a whole, and for receiving
   notifications about changes to either using the same interface."

NEW: 
  "Along with the basic data model as defined in [17], the realization
of this framework requires 
   a policy infrastructure.  The policies required by this framework to
manage and 
   control access to the data include local, system level boundaries
associated with specific
   data elements, such as the membership, and by the ranges and
limitations of other data elements. 
   Additional policy considerations for a system realization based on
   this data model are discussed in Section 5.2."  

Section 5.2:
OLD: 
   Conference policies collectively refers to a set of rights,
   permissions and limitations pertaining to operations being performed
   on a certain conference object.

   The set of rights describes the read/write access privileges for the
   conference object as a whole.  This access would usually be granted
   and defined in terms of giving the read-only or read-write access to
   clients with certain roles in the conference.  As such, the policies
   represented by the set of rights aren't explicitly defined within the
   data model, but rather are reflected in the system realization
   (Section 7).

   The permissions and limits, however, are specified as an integral
   part of the conference object type, with data objects containing the
   allowed ranges for other data objects (e.g., maximum number of
   participants) and lists of clients allowed to perform certain
   operations on a conference object.  For example, the "allowed-users-
   list" of participants is consulted to decide who is allowed to join.
   The entries in the list can specify the identity of an individual
   user ([email-masked]), a role, a domain ([email-masked]), etc.  For
   further details, refer to the detailed data model [17].

   A more general rule mechanism, beyond the functionality provided by
   the permissions and limits, is an item for future study.

NEW: 
   Conference policies collectively refers to a set of rights,
   permissions and limitations pertaining to operations being performed
   on a certain conference object.

   The set of rights describes the read/write access privileges for the
   conference object as a whole.  This access would usually be granted
   and defined in terms of giving the read-only or read-write access to
   clients with certain roles in the conference.  Managing this access 
   would require a conferencing  system have access to basic policy
information 
   to make the decisions, but doesn't necessarily require an explicit
representation
   in the policy model.  As such, for this framework document, the
policies 
   represented by the set of rights are reflected in the system
realization (Section 7).

   The permissions and limits require explicit policy mechanisms
   and are outside the scope of the data model [17] and this framework
document. 

Section 7:
OLD:
   As discussed in Section 5.2, there are conference policies implicit
   in and derivable from the data in the conference objects and there
   are also policies applying to the conference objects as a whole.  In
   the examples in this section, these latter policies are shown
   logically associated with the conference objects, however, it is an
   implementation specific mechanism as to how these policies are
   managed and applied to the conference objects.

NEW: 
   As discussed in Section 5.2, there are conference policies applicable
to specific 
   data in the conference objects and there
   are also policies applying to the conference objects as a whole.  In
   the examples in this section, the policies are shown
   logically associated with the conference objects, however, it is an
   implementation specific mechanism and out of scope for this framework
document, 
   as to how these policies are managed and applied to the conference
objects.

Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon