Subject: [Xml-sg-cmt] Meta tags

From: Kesara Rathnayake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 10:39:38 +1300

Hi all,

Regarding meta tags, in addition to having them on the rendered HTML 
files, we should have all the meta tags on the RFC information pages 
(Example: [1]).

This will allow us to do things like providing URLs to PDF files so 
Google Scholar can include them.

Cheers,
Kesara

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9140

-- 
Kesara Rathnayake
Senior Software Development Engineer - IETF LLC
[email-masked]

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2022 16:56:39 -0500

> Regarding meta tags, in addition to having them on the rendered HTML files, 
> we should have all the meta tags on the RFC information pages (Example: [1]).
>
> This will allow us to do things like providing URLs to PDF files so Google 
> Scholar can include them.

That turns out not to work.  The info pages had those tags for many years 
and none of our RFCs got listed in Scholar.  They want a page that has all 
of the bibliographic material for each document at least including the 
abstract and all of the references.  That would be a big change from the 
way we work now.

The goal here is to get each RFC into Google Scholar, and it seems clear 
that the HTML versions are the easiest for them to index.  My script for 
HTMLized old RFCs does put the citation_pdf_url tag into the HTML so if 
they want to list it as a secondary version, it's there.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly