Subject: [xmpp] UPDATED: draft-miller-xmpp-e2e

From: "Matt Miller (mamille2)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 22:53:54 +0000

And update to draft-miller-xmpp-e2e is now available.  This is still using JW*, but uses key wrapping instead of "alg":"none". There is still some partial header use, for the exchange of the Session Master Key (SMK).

No, this is not addressing every single concern everyone might have brought up on- or off-list, but at least demonstrates something (I think) is more inline with JWE.

< http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-xmpp-e2e-02 >

- m&m

Matt Miller - <[email-masked]>
Cisco Systems, Inc.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:28:31 -0600

On 7/13/12 4:53 PM, Matt Miller (mamille2) wrote:

> An update to draft-miller-xmpp-e2e is now available.

Thanks, Matt! I've slowly been adjusting mentally to the model you
propose, and I think it makes quite a bit of sense for XMPP. I'll need
to complete a more thorough review of this I-D (and the various JW*
specs) in the near future, but one small item struck me immediately: for
the offline case, I think we need to say something about the fact that
this is "best-effort" and the sending entity might itself be offline by
the time the receiving entity tries to obtain the key (thus leading to
failure of the interaction).

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "Matt Miller (mamille2)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:33:02 +0000

> failure of the interaction).

Thanks for the review, Peter.  I'll put that on the list of things to fix in the next release.

- m&m