Subject: [xmpp] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6120 (4741)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 19:43:19 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6120,
"Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Core".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6120&eid=4741

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Sam Whited <[email-masked]>

Section: 8.2.3

Original Text
-------------
1.  The 'id' attribute is REQUIRED for IQ stanzas.

…

3.  An entity that receives a stanza of type "get" or "set" MUST
    reply with an IQ respones of type "result" or "error".  The
    response MUST preserve the 'id' attribute of the request (or be
    empty if the generated stanza did not include an 'id' attribute).

Corrected Text
--------------
1.  The 'id' attribute is REQUIRED for IQ stanzas.

…

3.  An entity that receives a stanza of type "get" or "set" MUST
    reply with an IQ respones of type "result" or "error".  The
    response MUST preserve the 'id' attribute of the request, or
    send an appropriate error if the generated stanza did not
    include an 'id' attribute.

Notes
-----
If the received IQ had an empty ID then it was not valid per point 1 and clients and servers cannot key on the ID (eg. for key mapped lists of IQs pending receipt or dispatch of a reply). An appropriate error or other behavior should be defined if the 'id' is meant to be REQUIRED, otherwise, if point 3 is correct, then 'id' should not be REQUIRED.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6120 (draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis-22)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Core
Publication Date    : March 2011
Author(s)           : P. Saint-Andre
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol RAI
Area                : Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG