Subject: [xmpp] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC6120 (4741)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 07:56:41 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC6120, "Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Core". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6120&eid=4741

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Sam Whited <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2016-07-13
Held by: Ben Campbell (IESG)

Section: 8.2.3

Original Text
-------------
1.  The 'id' attribute is REQUIRED for IQ stanzas.

…

3.  An entity that receives a stanza of type "get" or "set" MUST
    reply with an IQ respones of type "result" or "error".  The
    response MUST preserve the 'id' attribute of the request (or be
    empty if the generated stanza did not include an 'id' attribute).

Corrected Text
--------------
1.  The 'id' attribute is REQUIRED for IQ stanzas.

…

3.  An entity that receives a stanza of type "get" or "set" MUST
    reply with an IQ respones of type "result" or "error".  The
    response MUST preserve the 'id' attribute of the request, or
    send an appropriate error if the generated stanza did not
    include an 'id' attribute.

Notes
-----
If the received IQ had an empty ID then it was not valid per point 1 and clients and servers cannot key on the ID (eg. for key mapped lists of IQs pending receipt or dispatch of a reply). An appropriate error or other behavior should be defined if the 'id' is meant to be REQUIRED, otherwise, if point 3 is correct, then 'id' should not be REQUIRED.

--------------------------------------
RFC6120 (draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis-22)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Core
Publication Date    : March 2011
Author(s)           : P. Saint-Andre
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol RAI
Area                : Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG