Subject: [yam] STD 72, RFC 6409 on Message Submission for Mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 01:35:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 72        
        RFC 6409

        Title:      Message Submission for Mail 
        Author:     R. Gellens, J. Klensin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 40153
        Obsoletes:  RFC4409
        See Also:   STD0072

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6409.txt

This memo splits message submission from message relay, allowing each
service to operate according to its own rules (for security, policy,
etc.), and specifies what actions are to be taken by a submission
server.

Message relay is unaffected, and continues to use SMTP over port 25.

When conforming to this document, message submission uses the
protocol specified here, normally over port 587.

This separation of function offers a number of benefits, including
the ability to apply specific security or policy requirements.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Yet Another Mail Working Group of the IETF.

This is now an Internet Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 05:18:26 -0500

With the publication of 6409, I believe that YAM's business is 
concluded. I expect to see the official wheels cranking through soon for 
us to shut down.

Thank you everyone for playing.

     Tony Hansen
     [email-masked]

On 11/16/2011 4:35 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 02:23:05 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tony Hansen
> Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:18 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [yam] STD 72, RFC 6409 on Message Submission for Mail
> 
> concluded. I expect to see the official wheels cranking through soon
> for us to shut down.

That's funny.  Are you listening to the plenary?

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:33:36 +0100

>        Author:     R. Gellens, J. Klensin

The last classic STD.

-Frank

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:19:50 -0500

Yes, I wrote the message during that conversation of the plenary. :-)