Subject: [Yang-multicast] draft-ietf-pim-yang-01.txt ready for WGLC?

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:46:38 -0700

Hi

I've been told that we should publish our YANG models as quickly as
possible. The IETF in general is trying to get the models out ASAP. We
basically need to get them out there before people start using other
models.

Do you believe the draft is ready for WGLC? I guess there may be more
work needed, but that way we can hopefully get people to carefully
review the draft.

I saw an email saying that 01 doesn't compile though. If that is the
only known issue, could you post an 02 fixing this ASAP?

Stig

---

From: "Xufeng Liu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:18:06 -0400

Hi Stig,

We are aware of the compilation issue, which is caused by the updates from
the models that we depend on. Will have the issue fixed within next few
days.

Thanks,

- Xufeng

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Yang-multicast [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Stig Venaas
> Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:47 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Yang-multicast] draft-ietf-pim-yang-01.txt ready for WGLC?
> 
> Hi
> 
possible.
> The IETF in general is trying to get the models out ASAP. We basically
need to
> get them out there before people start using other models.
> 
> Do you believe the draft is ready for WGLC? I guess there may be more work
> needed, but that way we can hopefully get people to carefully review the
draft.
> 
> I saw an email saying that 01 doesn't compile though. If that is the only
known
> issue, could you post an 02 fixing this ASAP?
> 
> Stig
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Yang-multicast mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang-multicast

---

From: "Stig Venaas (svenaas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:14:23 -0700

Hi

> the models that we depend on. Will have the issue fixed within next few

Apart from that, if you're meeting tomorrow, could you discuss whether
you are OK with it going to last call? I suspect we won't get much input
from others until we do that.

Stig

---

From: "Xufeng Liu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 14:49:45 -0400

Hi Stig and all,

I have updated the models to compile with the updated models that we depend
on, along with some syntax fixes and description cleanups. The updated model
files, tree views, and draft file are at
https://github.com/mcallisterjp/pim-yang.

Please let me know for any comments. I'll submit it on Monday if no
objections.

Also, I'm ok with going for last call. 

Thanks,

- Xufeng

> Stig Venaas (svenaas)
> Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:14 PM
> Subject: Re: [Yang-multicast] draft-ietf-pim-yang-01.txt ready for WGLC?
> 
> Hi
> 
> > We are aware of the compilation issue, which is caused by the updates
> > from the models that we depend on. Will have the issue fixed within
> > next few days.
> 
> Apart from that, if you're meeting tomorrow, could you discuss whether you
are
> OK with it going to last call? I suspect we won't get much input from
others until
> we do that.
> >> From: Yang-multicast [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> >> Behalf Of Stig Venaas
> >> review the
> >> only

---

From: "Stig Venaas (svenaas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:56:44 -0700

Hi

> Also, I'm ok with going for last call.

Great, thanks. I actually have one question. For timers like expiry
time, is it common in models to just have a timer showing how many
seconds (or whatever unit)? I think it would be easier and maybe more
useful to have a time stamp showing when it will expire.

I think time stamp is easier to implement. Say if your data is stored
in some kind of database queried by YANG, it is easier to just update
a time stamp each time you get a join, rather than frequently updating
the expiry time. Also, for the client/person consuming the data, there
will be some delay from when you got the data via the query until you
see the value, so the expiry time may be larger than the actual time,
or you cannot say exactly when it will expire. One can of course store
a time stamp in a database and convert it to "time remaining" when it
is read though.

Thoughts?

Stig